Well who thought we’d still be here after almost 2 full years of enduring this pandemic? Until Omicron showed up, I really thought we were coming out of it. But alas, this wasn’t quite true. I think we’re all longing for a return to normalcy, however a lot still has to happen for this to become a reality.
Where We're At Right Now
With Omicron cases on the rise and vaccination rates stalled, it is possible that we will hit herd immunity within the United States, as will many other first world countries. Unfortunately, vaccination rates globally are not where they need to be in order to end this pandemic. Rich countries were able to buy up most of the doses available so poor and underdeveloped countries are scrambling to inoculate their populations. There is a need for vaccine equity at the global level. It is this need that I’d like to touch on today.
Because of your support through the purchase of our Covid 19 Awareness Bracelets & Stud Earrings, we’ve been able to donate over $115 to the WHO Solidarity Fund. At the end of 2021 the Solidarity Fund was merged with the general WHO Foundation to, “support WHO and its partners’ response efforts to COVID-19 and other health emergencies.” The fund raised a total of $256, 858, 860 from over 676, 626 donors! Now that is a true example of the beauty of people coming together in crisis to help others.
How the WHO Solidarity Fund put those donations to use:
- $169 million to procure & distribute essential commodities and coordinate response.
- $10 million to CEPI (Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness) to catalyze and coordinate global vaccine research and development.
- $10 million to UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees) to protect at-risk Internally Displaced People and refugees.
- $10 million to UNICEF (United Nations Children’s Fund) to support vulnerable communities in low-resource settings.
- $20 million to WFP (World Food Programme) to support the shipment of vital commodities where they are most needed.
- $5 million to UNRWA (United Nations Relief and Works Agency) to support refugee populations in Gaza, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria and the West Bank.
- $2.6 million to the World Organization of the Scout Movement to alleviate the pandemic’s negative impact on youth development.
A close up look at the Awareness Stretch Bracelet for Covid 19 Research & Response
Meet the new Covid 19 Collection Beneficiary
Isn’t the amount of help the WHO has given worldwide since the beginning of the pandemic just absolutely amazing? And their efforts continue as this pandemic is far from over. Now that the Solidarity Fund has been combined with the general WHO Covid 19 Response, that is where the donations for the Covid 19 collection will go. Covid 19 is here to stay and so we will continue to raise funds to help fuel global vaccine equity.
The Need for Global Vaccine Equity
A close up look at the Stand Up Stud Earrings for Covid 19 Research & Response
The fastest way to end this pandemic is to make sure there is fair access to vaccines for everyone no matter where you live. Many of the countries that have been spurned by lack of access are in Africa. According to the WHO, “right now, only a few countries have widespread access to vaccines, which means the virus will continue to mutate, cross borders, and wreak havoc for everyone around the world.”
Now if that doesn't send a chill down your spine, I think you should check your pulse. We need to act now and keep supporting the WHO’s efforts so that we can ensure a quicker end to this pandemic. Your support is still vital and every purchase makes a difference.
Consider supporting today with a purchase from the Support Covid-19 Research Collection